Our CredoIt's what we stand for and drives all that we do.
Theatre is an expression of life—a force contributing to man’s spiritual well-being, as well as a means of helping society in understanding and confronting some of its problems and downfalls. The primary function of theatre is to ask society to look “into the mirror.”
It is the philosophy of Music Makers Theatre and Music Makers of Western Springs that educational theatre should be a vehicle for students to grow as individuals by examining their sense of self and the world in which they live. This is accomplished through exposure to the diverse humanistic themes presented in various genres of theatre. As they see, think, and develop empathy for characters and situations apart from their own unique existence, they are broadening their understanding of the human condition. In turn, this adds dimensions to the students’ perspectives of life. We hope our students become more open-minded and accepting as a result. Theatre can help in preparing for life; it is an avenue to understanding and awareness.
In order for this kind of individual growth to occur, we feel it is important to:
- Choose comedic and dramatic literature that reflects the human experience in a multitude of ways
- Choose challenging literature that presents issues and ideas that inspire the audience to think and feel
- Realize that theatre reflects life in its fullest range: from the dark side, to all of its beauty.
- Be accepting of any and all participants
- Expect and inspire commitment and hard work
- Encourage and stimulate collaboration and creativity
- Maintain an honest and trusting environment
When all of this is fulfilled, we have accomplished the primary goal of all education–to teach our students about life by illuminating its many aspects.